Sunday, January 16, 2011

Colin Crowe (The Others) Interview

Ahead of announcing The Others as a new band on Suppression, I caught up with front-man, and fellow condiment disliker, Colin Crowe via email to get an insight into his mind and the new release (due April). Enjoy.

Okay, first up, please introduce yourself and tell us a little bit about yourself and what you do in ‘The Others’.

Yes hello, my name is Colin, others know me as Moey a nickname that has just stuck. I sing in the others to the girls and boys at shows but mostly boys because there never seems to be any girls there for us. Please come NG needs some kind of feminine role in his life.

If you were to describe the band to someone who has never heard you before, how would you describe it?

Surfy riffs with a major crust of Boston.

Where does the name of the band come from?

We were kind of stuck on naming the band and couldn’t really think of anything. I think it was actually hot ash that suggested the others coming from the series Lost and we thought it sounded pretty good.

Being the lyricist in the band, where do you get your influence? Is there a theme that you stick to when writing lyrics?

I usually just let my mind run, its mainly things that have been on my mind for a while or experiences I wish that I’d never had.

When writing the music for songs, is there one particular member that writes the songs? Tell us a bit about the song writing process.

NG and Dees write their own songs and show them to the band and we kind of work from there. I’ve tried to have input but I just make jeninininin sounds with my mouth and hope they get my meaning.

The EP was recorded with Al from Begerk! who is a link pin in the Perth hardcore scene, how was it working with Al? Listening back to the EP are you happy with how it all came out?

Working with Al is always awesome, he’s real laid back and good to have a laugh with. I think everyone always listens to the finished product and wishes they could come back and add something or do it a little different. I’m no exception to that but overall we are all pretty pleased with the outcome.

The artwork, designed by ex-hairdresser Callum Preston, for the EP is quite fresh, who came up with concept?

I’m reading this question and am just stumped I don’t know how to go by making a reference to Callum and his past careers. I think the art design came from NG and then the idea of it all kind of grew from there with the other 3 guys in the band coming up with things. I’m not too sure because I was away at the time but was syked on the whole thing. Yup still got nothing.

When watching ‘The Others’ I’m often a bit taken back by the between song ramblings, do you feel you have an alter ego that comes out at this very point in time? What exactly is it about a quiet stage and a quiet crowd that gets you so angry?

Dude, there is nothing worse for your nerves than a dead quiet room. You’ve all just smashed out a few songs your panting and sweating then looking up to see a room full of kids not making a sound, it’s not so much anger as it is more frustration, I guess. We want involvement and for people to be able to express themselves and not hold back.

Does the band have any plans to head east on a tour any time in the near future?

I think we would all love to go east on tour as soon as we can. Having toured (personally) with Miles Away and other bands it’s such a fun experience hanging with mates and just getting loose.

Popular Perth venue ‘Hyde Park’ hotel closed it’s doors to live music recently, a venue that ‘The Others’ played most of it’s shows at. How do you feel about losing such an important part of Perth hardcore history? What is your favorite memory of the venue?

Losing that venue is such a big blow, it’s one of the few places were you and the crowd are face to face, everything becomes so alive you feel like your being swept away by some crazy tide, I loved it. There have been quite a few memorable moments; a couple of the more recent ones would include Trash Talk’s show and Cruel Hand. Also, probably Scotts (Blkout) outstanding performance managing to get kicked out when he was playing jumping from the bar and just being blind drunk.

I hear that you are anti-condiments, a sentiment I also strongly believe in, what exactly is it about tomatoes and tomato sauce that puts you off?

You can’t trust them. All those seeds, why do you need all those seeds tomato, why? The whole condiment practice baffles and disgusts me I’m not sure why? I don’t think I ever had a bad experience with it, just from a young age decided I wasn’t a fan of it and stuck to that decision.

A video surfaced a year or so back of you summoning witch doctors in your sleep, is this a regular practice for you?

Who told you? Barkeep? Margo? I have no clue what happened. But it’s still happening. Mysterious being.

Alright, I think I’m done. Thanks for the interview.

Sound mate take it easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment